Preparations for celebrating the New Year are underway! Numerous Alpena establishments are rolling out their holiday best while ringing in the new year and new beginnings. Where will you be toasting? Check out this list of some of Alpena’s hot celebrations and low-key adventures to enjoy while ringing in 2018:
(In no particular order)
- Rock ’til You Drop New Years Eve Bash– It’s a New Year’s Eve Party at Sneakers inside of the Ramada Inn. Come and ‘Rock ‘Till You Drop’! Cover charge is $10 at the door and includes snack foods, a champagne toast at midnight, and live music from 8 pm until midnight. Four different bands will be performing including Charles Madison & Dan Ludwig, Obeasitie Boys, High Speed, and State the Odds. After the ball drops, show off your best dance moves or just enjoy the tunes from the DJ. Drink specials throughout the night and a pizza buffet served for $7.99 from midnight-3:30 am.
- Glowing Vibes– Get your glow on at Fresh Palate’s 2nd Annual New Year Blacklight Party! Entry is free, doors open at 8 pm and stay open until 4 am. There is an optional VIP section for $25 per person where you can check your coat, enjoy party favors, snack on hors-d’oeuvres, and sip a champagne toast at midnight. Stop by Fresh Palate today to pick up your VIP tickets.
- New Years Eve Party @ Court Yard– Come in and celebrate the end of 2017 and the beginning of 2018 at the Court Yard! Call and make your reservation today at 989-356-9511. If you make your reservation to sit in the bar with a party of 6 or more people, you will have a party bucket waiting for you! The party bucket includes a bottle of champagne, party favors, Budweiser merchandise, free cab rides home, and more! Music starts at 10 pm.
- Pretentious Pig @ Chiefs Bar– Ring in the new year with Pretentious Pig, playing for your entertainment at Chiefs Bar & Grill on New Year’s Eve.
- New Years Eve Party with Tweed & Dixie @ The Aplex– Featuring the sounds of high energy country and rock n’ roll by Tweed and Dixie, don’t miss out the NYE bash at the Aplex this year! Cost is $15 per person and includes hot and cold appetizers, party favors, pizza, and a cash bar. Get your tickets at Neiman’s Family Market, the Aplex, or True North Radio. Doors open at 8 pm with the band performing from 9 pm to 1 am. To reserve a table of at least 8 or more people, call the Aplex at 989-354-6164.
- New Years Eve Dinner @ Black Sheep– Black Sheep will be debuting their new dinner menu on New Year’s Eve with steak and fish options as well as prawns to add to your celebratory feast! Dinner will be served until 10 pm.
- “I Did It My Way” New Year’s Eve Feast at John A. Lau Saloon– Featuring a four-course dinner selection for $29.99 per person. For the 1st course enjoy a shrimp shooter with a glass of Prosecco, a 2nd course of soup or salad with bread, and for the 3rd course choose from the aptly named: The Empire, The Broadway, The Big Apple NY, or The Hudson (follow link for description on main courses). Finally, for the 4th course, enjoy a New York cheesecake topped with crème de menthe and peppermint crunch.
- New Years Eve Dinner for Two @ Sandbar & Grill– Wine and dine at the Sandbar & Grill this New Year’s Eve with their dinner for two special. Includes prime rib and crab cakes, choice of potato and a bottle of wine for $50. But that’s not all, free jukebox selections for your enjoyment all night long!
Looking to avoid the crowds for a more low-key celebration? We’ve got you covered!
(in no particular order)
- Nature’s Ball Drop– Head out to one of our Dark Sky parks and watch for nature’s version of the ball drop, shooting stars! The Alpena area is central to three officially designated Dark Sky parks; Rockport State Recreation Area, Thompson’s State Harbor, and Negwegon State Park. Dress warm, as this New Year’s Eve will be one of the coldest!
- Resolution Run– Hosted by the Dork Brothers Racing Team, the Resolution Run is a chance to end 2017
properly by exercising, enjoying the camaraderie of fellow runners/walkers and other active people while contributing to a good cause. This run will take place on the 30th, a day before New Year’s Eve. Click the link for more details on price, registration, times, and location.
- Reeling in the New Year– Catch and cook your own New Years Eve dinner by spending the afternoon ice fishing on one of our inland lakes! The lake conditions are reporting a good amount of ice already for fishing, so shanty up and bring a pal to end your 2017 catching the big one! Keep in mind that the U.S. Coast Guard warns trekking onto ice-covered water is dangerous, so this activity is to be enjoyed at your own risk. Stop by a local bait shop for advice on where to go.
- Last Day of 2017 Winter Recreation– Go snowshoeing through the Besser Natural Area, go cross-country skiing through Norway Ridge, snowmobile the NEST trail, or go ice skating at Northern Lights Arena. The variety of fun winter activities are endless here in our Sanctuary of the Great Lakes, you just need to dress for the part!
Please note- This is NOT a comprehensive list of everything happening in Alpena on December 31st! We encourage you to reach out to your favorite organizations and establishments for more information on their New Year’s Celebration, and share what you know on our Facebook page.
Happy New Year from all of us here in the Sanctuary of the Great Lakes!
Visit our events calendar at www.visitalpena.com/events.