The census is in, Alpena loves fall! What’s not to love? With all the colors, the sweet treats, and warm yumminess of mulled spirits in your belly, it’s hard not to love the autumn season in this area!
Be sure to check out the following events and fun things to do to make your fall in Alpena extra festive!
- The Thunder Bay Winery’s Harvest Festival & Austin Brothers 4th Anniversary Party – It’s a grape-smashingly good time at the Thunder Bay Winery’s Harvest Festival! Live music, grape stomping competition, food vendors, and a free shuttle to Austin Brothers 4th Annual Anniversary Party await you this Saturday, September 14th. Click the links to find out all the details on both celebrations.
- A Trip to the Alpena Farmers Market – A Saturday morning isn’t complete until you take a trip over to the Alpena Farmers Market on Mich-e-ke-wis beach. Pick out a pumpkin, some squash, and some homemade baked goods to start off your fall day with a bang. The farmers market will move to the Alpena Mall location starting in October.
- Knaebe’s Mmmunchy Krunchy Apple Farm and Twisted Roots Cider & Fall Colors Tour – It’s a common question around these parts, “where are the best scenic drives to see all the fall color?” Have no fear, we put in the work so you can get the most out seeing the magnificent reds, oranges, and yellows. Follow this link to our complete guide to a fall colors tour —> Alpena Shades of Autumn Note: Fall color in our area is expected to peak around October 12th, but it could come sooner. While you’re driving around looking at the colors, be sure to stop into Knaebe’s for apple cider, (the best) homemade donuts we have ever tasted, wood-fired pizzas, and delicious hard cider!
- Sunrise Suds Tap Takeover – Northeast Michigans premier beer festival will be happening on Saturday,
September 21st. Featuring 30 Michigan craft breweries, live music, games, food, and entertainment. Held in the streets of beautiful downtown Alpena on 2nd Ave, this is a craft beer event like no other!
- Connie’s Fall Festival – Connie’s Cafe in Ossineke, home of the best giant cinnamon roll this side of the state! If you’ve had breakfast or lunch at Connie’s before, you know what we mean. Join in on Saturday, September 21st for a special Fall Festival turkey dinner complete with trimmings, dessert, raffles, and music. Adults $10, Children $5.
- Thunder Bay Folk Festival – The 6th annual Thunder Bay Folk Festival invites you to come enjoy a weekend of musical entertainment on September 27th thru September 29th at the Antique Tractor & Steam Engine Grounds. From bluegrass to swing band, to gospel, the Thunder Bay Folk Festival will have a variety of genres for everyone. Open-mic events, workshops, food and merchandise vendors, and so much more!
- Fall Cornhole Tournament – Beers ‘N Bags Cornhole Tournament starts at 12 pm Saturday, September 28th at the Aplex. Bags fly at 1 pm! $40/team, double elimination, concessions, cash bar, games, and raffles. Don’t miss out on the fun!
- 18th Annual Night at the Lighthouse – Come and celebrate the 100th anniversary of the 4th order Fresnel lens on Friday, October 4th. Entertainment provided by Alpena’s Barbershop Quartet, aka, “CHORD ORDER” at 6:30 pm followed by Acoustic Jam at 7:00 pm. This evening of fun, music, and light refreshments will be hosted by Al Gross aka The Barefoot Balladeer. Refreshments provided by the Kiwanis Fish Shack with spiced hot cider, coffee, and cookies. Free admission to all!
- Paranormal Mini-Con – Ready for a ghost hunt?! M.A.P.I.T. (Michigan Area Paranormal Investigative Team) and Cherry Capital Shadow Seekers will visit the Harrisville branch of the Alcona County Library Saturday, October 5th, 10:00 am to Noon, and the Alpena County George N. Fletcher Library, 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm. A live paranormal investigation will follow at a location to be announced. No registration required for this free event.
- 6th Annual Chili Chowder Cook-Off – The sixth annual Downtown Alpena Chowder & Chili Cook-off is
scheduled for Saturday, October 5th and will take place on 2nd Ave. from Chisholm St. to Park Place. Come taste the best chowders and chilis from both professionals and amateurs, and cast your vote for best in show! The event will also have Michigan beer and wine and live music for you to enjoy. Tasting tickets will be available the day of, first come first served! Tickets are $10 to try all entries. Beer and wine will be $4, add a commemorative koozie for $1! The Alpena DDA is proud to announce that for the third year in a row, our event will be ZERO-WASTE with the help of Plastics FLOAT and Alpena 4-H Tech Changemakers.
- Haunted House at the Great Lakes Maritime Museum & Downtown Trunk or Treat – Friday, October 25th celebrate Halloween with the MSP sponsored Trunk or Treat event in downtown Alpena behind City Hall. After you and your little costumed kiddos trick or treat, stop by the Great Lakes Maritime Museum for a kid-friendly haunted attraction. Feeling brave? There will also be a section in the museum dedicated for adults and those who are feeling extra courageous!
- Scarecrow Village Haunted Ridge – Open only 2 nights in October! Visit on Saturday, October 19th and/or Saturday, October 26th to get spooky inside The Haunted Ridge and Frightmares – 2 haunted attractions to appease your Halloween spirit! Visit their website in the link above for more information on both attractions.
- Sunrise Side Oktoberfest Dinner/Dance – The Sunrise Side Oktoberfest Dinner/Dance at the K of C Hall will feature the Norm Siess Band on Sunday, October 20th. Doors will open at 1:00 pm, dancing from 2:00 – 5:30 pm and a pork loin dinner will be served at 5:30. Dinner and dance for only $15, cash bar.
Did we miss you? Be sure to post your upcoming events at www.visitalpena.com/add-event/. We recommend adding your event at least a month or two in advance to ensure a good turnout! Events may be added up to one year in advance. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions! As always, please check out the complete list of upcoming events in Alpena at www.visitalpena.com/events/events-calendar.