Fishing Tournament Support and Guidelines
The plentiful lakes in and around the Alpena area are host to multiple fishing tournaments annually, with bass and walleye being the most popular inland species as well as big lake sport fishing on Lake Huron. The Alpena Area Convention & Visitors Bureau has developed this page to help you plan your tournament visit. We are here to assist you with your planning needs and look forward to welcoming you to the Sanctuary of the Great Lakes!
Our accommodations range from campgrounds and cottages, to motels and familiar hotel brands.
Our restaurants offer an array of food service, from sandwich delis and pizzerias to cafes, gourmet, and farm-to-table dining. Enjoy locally vinted wine, locally brewed beer, and even a variety of waterfront dining options.
Last minute and souvenir shopping is a breeze with familiar favorites like Walmart, Meijer and local grocery stores. You will also find a number of locally-owned boutiques and shops with gift items.
The Alpena area is a perfect destination for a tournament vacation. Bring the entire family for a relaxing get-a-way.
Alpena offers a variety of attractions including glass-bottom boat tours of the shipwrecks in Thunder Bay, 7 lighthouses, Arzo Amusement park, theater, galleries and museums, trails, roadside attractions like Dinosaur Gardens, fossil hunting, 3 dark sky preserve parks, and a variety of areas to kayak or stand up paddleboard.
The Alpena Area Convention & Visitors Bureau provides the following services to fishing tournament event planners:
- Liaison assistance with local lodging establishments.
- Help with the coordination of Site Visits.
- We can provide Welcome Bags upon request, (filled with Visitor’s Guides, Maps, etc.) to help you explore and enjoy Alpena’s best attractions.
- Recommendations of local vendors to serve your catering needs.
- We can provide lists of potential meeting spaces and banquet facilities for angler meetings, tabulation, awards dinners, etc.
- We know local vendors and can connect you to the right sources for all of your on-site needs.
- Our Media Relations services include Press Releases to help you get the word out to the local community before and during your event if you desire.
Things to remember:
- Make sure your tournament is registered with the Michigan DNR.
- Michigan Fishing Licenses can be obtained easily online.
- Remind anglers to rinse boats and trailers in between lakes to help prevent the spread of invasive species.
- If filming for a TV show, please contact Mary Beth Stutzman at Marybeth@visitalpena.com directly for any and all filming questions or needs.
As a small CVB, the Alpena Area Convention & Visitors Bureau unfortunately does not have the budget to monetarily support all fishing tournaments that have selected Alpena as their venue. Should there be significant media/marketing coverage of the Alpena area beyond the tournament, exceptions may be possible (contingent upon budget allowances). Please email Mary Beth Stutzman with tournament and marketing details at Marybeth@visitalpena.com to request monetary support consideration.