Film Friendly Alpena
Save time and save your budget with logistical help from the Alpena CVB, the official film office for Alpena and the surrounding Northeast Michigan area.
We are your One-Stop point of contact for all your needs:
- Location Scouting and Negotiation
- Production and Permitting Needs
- Municipal and Law Enforcement Assistance
- Lodging and Location Management
We work with the Michigan Film Office, Film Friendly Michigan, municipalities and the private sector to provide the services that you need to successfully complete your project.
- Several runway scenes where filmed at Alpena’s airport for Die Hard II starring Bruce Willis.
- 24 of the world’s best bass anglers, including Kevin VanDam, filmed an entire series of the Outdoor Channel’s Major League Fishing show on three of Alpena’s inland lakes. See our special guests tour Alpena > Sasquatch and Mike Iaconelli relax in the Sanctuary of the Great Lakes.
- The Outdoor Channel’s popular Fishing University TV series filmed a program on Hubbard Lake in 2014 and is returning for more filming in 2015.
- Tom and the crew from the official Pure Michigan television program Under the Radar (which appears on PBS stations across the U.S. and Canada) has visited our Alpena and Northeast Michigan a number of times to highlight unique community features on their show.
Alpena: charm, mystery, unique terrain, ocean-like scenes (without the sharks), forest, urban and industrial settings, and a helpful community.
Alpena is a quiet community located in northeast Michigan on the shores of Lake Huron and the Thunder Bay River. With a population of 11,300, Alpena is the largest community in the area and is the hub for health care, education and technology within a four county region. The Alpena area features miles of shoreline on Lake Huron, two of Michigan’s largest inland lakes and the Thunder Bay River. Dotted with harbors and lighthouses, the Alpena area is also home to the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary which protects 200 historic shipwrecks.
Out in the country and along the shore, pristine forests, farms and fields, cabins and little towns and villages create a charming rural landscape. Large industrial buildings, a rock quarry, sink holes, schools, many beautifully restored historic Victorian homes, churches, and other buildings offer a host of location possibilities. The urban warfare facilities at the Alpena Regional Airport and Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center – along with a nearly two-mile long runway provide unique location options.
Bigger Tax Credit
Because Alpena is one of Michigan’s Core Communities, you may claim an extra two percent on Michigan’s 40% refundable tax credit on film production*. (*current legislation revisions pending)
Thank you for considering the Alpena and Northeast Michigan area for your next film project!
Contact us to get started:
The Alpena Area Convention and Visitors Bureau is located at 235 W. Chisholm St. in Alpena.
Please contact Mary Beth Stutzman with questions related to filming at (989) 354-4181 or 800-425-7362 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to making your project a success!