With Valentine’s Day upon us, it is time to start thinking about what to do with your special someone. Rekindle the flame with your sweetie at one or more of these Alpena hot spots this weekend!
- Romantic Rockport State Recreation Area– Put on your snowshoes and pack a picnic. Snowshoe through Rockport’s snowy trails on an outdoor getaway for two and don’t forget to dress warm, as you will want to stay until nightfall. Rockport is now officially a registered Dark Sky Preserve—you’ve never seen the stars like you’ll see them at Rockport! Recreation Passport required.
- A Center Building Love Story- Take your special someone downtown and check out Alpena’s Art in the Loft gallery, located upstairs in the Center Building. Many pieces are created by local and regional artists and are available for purchase, making for a one-of-a-kind gift for your valentine. After your fine art experience, head downstairs to Thunder Bay Winery for a taste of local wines. They have everything from red and white, to fruit and ice. After you’ve had a taste of the Thunder Bay, head next door to The Fresh Palate for a three-course Valentine’s meal off of their feature menu. This Valentine’s Day itinerary will fill your glass, your belly, and your heart.
- Enchanted Harborside Evenings – Stroll Alpena’s beautiful break wall pier down at the harbor and watch the sky dance in pink and orange as the sun sets to the west. Listen to the waves break away at the icy shores of Lake Huron. Hone in on your smartphone photography skills and have a winter wonderland photo session beside the scenic harbor. Lacking skills in smartphone photography? We’ve got a class for that! Register today with your valentine for a smartphone photography session at Art in the Loft this Saturday, February 13th from 12-3pm. Call 989-356-4877 to reserve your spots today!
- An Affair of the (Happy Hour) Heart – Three different locations offer happy hour to serve you in the downtown Alpena area and these happenin’ happy hour spots are walkable—no driving necessary! First starting out at 4pm, The Fresh Palate features $1 off pints and $1 off featured drink of the day until 6pm. Then, head over to The Black Sheep pub for $1 off pints until 7pm. Finish off your night at JJ’s Steak & Pizza for .50 cents off everything behind the bar until midnight!
- That’s Amore! – Grab your hunny and make it a dessert night! Indulge on the day of love and treat yourself to something sweet with your sweetie. For some gourmet sweets and treats, stop by As You Wish Special Events & Gourmet Bakery, North Country Candy & Gifts, or Stoney Acres Winery for a wide variety of home baked goods that are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Or, head out and see what our local restaurants have to offer to celebrate this day of love. Nothing says “I love you” like chocolate.
- Blazing the Trails of Love – Performance Locker + Thunder Bay Trails + DNR are hosting a very special
Valentine’s Day outing at Norway Ridge Pathway. A lantern lit ski event will be taking place from 5:30-8:30pm on February 14th and will be free of charge and open to the public. Enjoy a romantic ski complete with bonfires, light snacks and good company! Need skis? No problem! Skis are available for rental from Harborside Cycle & Sport for $20 a day. Recreation Passport required. Headlights are recommended along with proper ski apparel. Call Performance Locker @ 989-884-1702 for any further inquiries.