Pewabic Ship Anchor (c.1863-1865)

On the evening of August 9th, 1865, laden with passengers and full of cargo of iron, copper ore, ship knees, fish, and leather, the Pewabic was hit by her sister ship, the Meteor. The Pewabic quickly sank about six miles off Thunder Bay Island near Alpena. In 1879, 1880, and 1892 unsuccessful attempts were made to locate the vessel. In 1897, salvagers first recovered some copper ore and artifacts. More ore was reclaimed in 1917. Members of the Busch Oceanographic Equipment Company relocated the Pewabic in 1973 and reclaimed more cargo from 180 ft of water. This bow anchor was recovered in July 1974 and brought to the Besser Museum in December 1974. The Admiralty-pattern anchor, the anchor shape most familiar to non-sailors, was placed on public display as a memento of the lost vessel.

Width 7′ – length 9′ – overall stock length 13′

Artist/Design – Unknown

Medium/Material – Historic artifact/Wood and iron

Information provided by Thunder Bay Art Council & Gallery, Tim Kuehnlein

Go to Top