Say ‘goodbye’ to checked baggage fees and high gas prices and say ‘hello’ to your own backyard! “Staycation” is the new vacation and here are 6 tips to having the best tourist experience in your hometown of Alpena.
- Think about when you have family and friends come to visit, where do you take them to show them a good time? How about a nice local restaurant for dinner, a walk along the lake and a local attraction? For example, the Maritime Heritage Center at the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary, a walk down Starlite beach, and dinner at one of Alpena’s locally owned restaurants.
- Go to the museum. Learn something new about the town you live in! Alpena has a rich history just waiting to be explored at the Besser Museum for Northeast Michigan.
- Take a day trip around Alpena County and explore the great outdoors. The Alpena area is known for the vast nature that surrounds us. Bring your camera and enjoy the outdoors, no matter the season. *Bonus-take cheesy pictures in front of local tourist spots, because we know that is what you would do anywhere else!
- Follow your city on Instagram. Need new ideas? Follow @visit_alpena on Instagram for fresh inspirational photos daily. Tag us in your staycation adventure!
- Check out local events. For a complete list of local events during your staycation visit www.visitalpena.com/events. Is there a local hockey or a football game? Go support your local team at Northern Lights Arena inside of the Aplex or Wildcat Stadium.
- Alpena Adventure Checklist! The complete experience Alpena guide with a list of 35 things to do while on your staycation; which includes activities for all 4 seasons! Click link and print- Alpena Adventure Checklist.