There are so many things to do after an Alpena snowstorm, like shovel…plow…snow blow…you know, the adult stuff. Set that aside for a couple of hours of care-free fun with these MUCH better ideas, from us to you!
- Do you wanna build a snowman? Yes, yes you do! Stick with the traditional approach for classic family fun and nostalgia. Start with a snowball packed tightly and roll around through the snow, making it bigger and bigger until you have the base. The base should be bigger than the middle and the top. Repeat for the middle and top pieces, with the top being the smallest. Grab a scarf, some coal for the eyes, smile, and buttons, and a carrot for the nose and you’ve got yourself a classic snowman! Show us your snowmen by tagging #visitalpena #alpenasnowman #sanctuaryofthegreatlakes
- Cross country skiing at Norway Ridge. The seven miles of groomed trails at Norway Ridge are perfect for the cross-country skier. Trail markers make it easy to determine which loop you are on and the snowy trees that surround you provide the perfect views and photo-ops! Ski rentals are available at Harborside Cycle & Sport.
- Snowshoeing through Besser Natural Area. You can snowshoe all the way to the ghost town of Bell for a fun day after the storm. Here’s an idea, bring a lunch for a winter picnic by the old remaining stone chimney. Take pictures and hashtag –
#visitalpena #winterpicnicsatbell #sanctuaryofthegreatlakes No snowshoes? No problem! Put on your best waterproof boots and make it a hike instead!
- Snow fort construction followed by a snowball fight. Remember the days of snow fort construction during anhour recess? When you’d hope and pray the other kids didn’t wreck it during the next recess period! Well, worry no more because this time it’s in your own backyard and you have full control of your snow fortress size, strength, and capabilities! Grab a friend, grab your kids, and grab your spouse and may the best team win during the greatest snowball fight of the year!
- Relax by the fire with a cup of hot chocolate and nostalgic movies. Ahhhh…put on your best cozy pajamas and relax with the family. You deserve it!
Cover photo courtesy of Anna Meinhardt