It’s National Pizza Day, and we’ve gathered up a list of unusual, unique, one-of-a-kind, specialty pizza pies. You can find all of these at locally owned restaurants right here in Alpena. Where will you venture off to tonight?
- Court Yard Ristorante– Sicilian: Sliced tomato, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, drizzled with a blend of basil and chili oil, and topped with fresh basil and parmesan cheese on a thin crust.
- The Cracker Barrel Party Store– Roasted Brussel Sprout & Applewood Smoked Bacon: House made tomato-alfredo sauce, topped with roasted Brussel sprouts, thick cut Applewood smoked bacon, and thinly sliced red onion. Add chicken for extra.
- Fresh Palate– Beet It: Beets, brussel sprouts, caramelized red onion, kale, feta cheese, and roasted garlic tomato sauce.
- Rosa’s Lookout Inn– Prime Rib: Sautéed onions and mushrooms, prime rib, and mozzarella cheese on a garlic butter sauce topped with asiago cheese and baked in a wood fire oven. Served with horseradish sauce for dipping.
- Black Sheep– The BLT Pie: Mayonnaise sauce, extra mozzarella cheese, muenster cheese, and topped with classic bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes.
- Austin Brothers Beer Company– Polish Falcon: Nowicki’s smoked kielbasa, beer-braised kraut, beer mustard, and “amber” beer cheese.
- Hideaway Tavern– Taco: Taco meat, Mexican blend cheese, topped with lettuce, tomato, onions, black olives,
- Komo’s Pizza– Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger Pizza: Ground beef, bacon, onion, and cheese blend.
- Nick’s Southside Diner– Breakfast Pizza: Sausage gravy, cheese sausage, bacon, ham, and baked egg.
- The Mountain Bar & Grill– The Craigo: Mushrooms and onion on bottom with double pepperoni on top.
- Mancino’s Pizza & Grinders– Lud’s Coney Island Pizza: Lud’s original Coney sauce topped with special cheese blend, cheddar cheese, sliced hot dogs, onions, and drizzled on top with mustard.
- JJ’s Steak & Pizza House– Chicken Florentine: Grilled chicken breast, baby spinach, artichoke hearts, alfredo sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
- John Boy’s Restaurant– Chicken Ranch Deluxe: Garlic crust, mozzarella cheese, grilled chicken, ranch, lettuce, and tomato.
*Fun Pizza Fact*
Legend has it that the first pizza originated in Naples, Italy and was created by Raffaele Esposito in 1889. His creation gained so much attention that he was called to cook a pizza for King Umberto and Queen Margherita. This particular pizza consisted of fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil and is still known as Margherita pizza to this day!