For some of you, Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate love and happiness while eating a romantic dinner and bestowing special gifts upon your significant other. For others, it is just another commercialized holiday that spins the wheels of a society controlled by consumerism. Which one sounds more like you this year?
We are here to tell you that no matter if you are a lover or a cynic of this annual holiday tradition, Alpena wants to celebrate with you! We love you. So grab your spouse, your friend, your family, or your four-legged companion, and check out these fun-filled adventure ideas for V-Day:
- Romantic Rockport State Recreation Area– Put on your snowshoes and pack a picnic. Snowshoe through Rockport’s snowy trails on an outdoor getaway for two, and don’t forget to dress warm, as you will want to stay until nightfall. If you haven’t heard, Rockport is an official registered Dark Sky Preserve—you’ve never seen the stars like you’ll see them at Rockport! Recreation Passport required. Snowshoe rentals available at Harborside Cycle & Sport.
- Downtown Love– The Alpena DDA has put together #DowntownDateIdeas for everything happening in downtown Alpena for Valentine’s Day. Checkout Downtown Alpena on Facebook to see the posts for downtown date ideas.
- Enchanted Harborside Evenings– Stroll Alpena’s beautiful break wall pier down at the harbor and watch the sky dance in pink and orange as the sun sets to the west. Listen to the waves breakaway at the icy shores of Lake Huron. Remember all of our posts about winter photo-walk photography and smartphone photography? Now is your chance to hone in on those photography skills and have a winter wonderland photo session beside our scenic harbor.
- Enamored in Island Park– Basically Alpena’s version of Central Park on a smaller scale, a nature escape within a city. The covered bridge alone is enough to make you feel lost in the moment with your person. Walking around the island in winter is just as beautiful as walking around the island in summer. We’d tell you everything about the views…but some things are better left to see for yourself!
- Blazing the Trails of Love– Nature lovers will definitely fall in love with the trails at Norway Ridge! Hike or cross-country ski your way through 10-miles of groomed trails in a tranquil country setting to ease your mind from the weight of the world. Not to mention, the perfect amount of exercise for working up your appetite for a 3-course Valentine’s meal! #GuiltFreeDessert
However you end up spending your Valentine’s Day tomorrow, we hope you have a great time with somebody that you love! Wishing you all the love and happiness.