Alpena Area Fresh Takes Video Contest
Submit your Alpena area adventure footage and enter to win some cash! Open call for entries to the Annual Fresh Takes™ Video Contest, sponsored by the Alpena Area Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Put your Alpena area adventure video footage from 2022 together and submit a short video showcasing the beautiful destination of Alpena and Northeastern Lower Michigan. (See below for complete Rules and Guidelines).
To enter the Fresh Takes™ Video Contest, print, sign, and return the form below, with your video.
The Fresh Takes™ Video Contest is open to all ages. You do not need to be a resident of Alpena, Michigan to enter. All entries are to be authentic and genuine, showcasing the Alpena region.
Rules & Guidelines
1. All entries must be a digital video.
2. Each entry must focus on ONE or more of the following areas presenting Alpena as the Sanctuary of the Great Lakes™. A place where history and heritage collide with relaxed outdoor adventure. A place to escape the stress of everyday life, where one can leave their cares behind to relax, restore and rejuvenate while exploring:
- Arts, Culture, Heritage (specific to Alpena area (artwork or artists working, local history, music life, Native American heritage, fishing history, hunting, agriculture, etc.)
- Outdoor Recreation & Lifestyles (silent sports: biking, fishing, hiking, kayaking, yoga, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, swimming, camping, hammocking, canoeing, stand up paddleboarding, snorkeling, diving, stargazing, bird watching, etc.)
- Environment (natural landscape, enjoying the outdoors, scenery, farm-to-table, unique local natural features/locations, etc.)
Fresh Takes™ Video Contest entries can tell a story, focus on a specific activity, include dialog or music or both, and/or may use creative methods to share inspiration on the theme. Entries including subtitles or informative text that compliments the theme will be viewed favorably by the judges.
3. Entrants may work together in groups or submit entries as individuals.
4. Video length between 30 seconds to 2 minutes is ideal – not including the 5-10 second end card screen (see #5). Social Media video entries must be at least 6 seconds in length, and do not need end card information.
5. Include a 5-10 second full-screen ‘end card’ with the following:
- Video by: _____________ (insert names of video producer and/or team)
- Fresh Takes™: Alpena, Michigan
- Sanctuary of the Great Lakes™
- (No other logos or watermarks permitted.)
6. All information presented must be original – entries with stock footage will not be accepted. Plagiarism of any kind will result in disqualification. If selected as a prize winner, you must submit a list of your sources, properly cited, and a signed permission release from all individuals appearing in the video.
7. Each video must have one Lead Producer to serve as the main point of contact and recipient of potential prizes.
8. No entry fee.
9. Hiring of professional assistance is not permitted.
10. All portions of the entry form must be completed for your video to be eligible. Email forms to Mary Beth at email@example.com or mail to Alpena Area CVB 420 N. Second Ave., Alpena, MI, 49707.
11. Content must comply with all Michigan and Unites States laws.
12. The judges’ decision is final. Entries will be judged on creativity, authenticity, and interpretation of content area(s) [Alpena: Sanctuary of the Great Lakes™ – Arts, Culture, Heritage; Outdoor Recreation; Environment].
13. The only compensation for submitting a video is the opportunity to be awarded a prize if the entry wins. Alpena Area Convention & Visitors Bureau will pay filmmakers no compensation nor be liable to the filmmaker(s) under any circumstances. Winning videos will be used by the Alpena Area Convention & Visitors Bureau to showcase the amazing Alpena area through positive promotion and information sharing activities to inspire others to explore the area.
Entries may be submitted to Mary Beth Stutzman at the Alpena Area Convention & Visitors Bureau via personal YouTube channel link or file sharing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or drop off the file on a flash drive to the Bureau office at 420 N. Second Ave., Alpena, MI 49707. Deadline for submissions is 5 pm (EST), Friday, March 10, 2023. Winners to be announced during the Fresh Takes Awards Ceremony on March 30.
Awards presented as follows:
- First Place: $500 *
- Second Place: $350 *
- Third Place: $150 *
- People’s Choice: $150
- Social Media $150
* See below for additional prize information
Please complete this form and return it with your video submission: Fresh Takes™ video contest Rules form 2023
See previous Fresh Takes™ Contest award-winning videos and more on the Alpena: Sanctuary of the Great Lakes YouTube Channel including:
Wild Alpena, by Nick Searcy
Sanctuary Surf, by Sean McLain
Alpena Adventure 365 days, by Mike Kukuris
Alpena is Home, by Paul Gerow
* Additional Prize Information:
New for 2023, top awardees will receive additional prize offerings from The Sunset Project, a local non-profit that exists to establish a community focused on fostering creative advancement in Northeast Michigan while also being a driving force for mental health awareness. In addition to the cash prizes from the Alpena Area Convention & Visitors Bureau, The Sunset Project will be donating GoPro Hero 10 video cameras to each winner, first through third place (People’s Choice & Social Media not included).