10 Tips to Find Your Winter Hygge Lifestyle in Alpena
Hygge – pronounced “hoo-ga”, is a Danish concept that cannot be translated into a single word but encompasses the overall cozy feeling of contentment and well-being by enjoying the simple things in life. This is especially popular during the winter months when everyone seeks warm, cozy contentment!
To live hygge, think chunky knit sweaters, oversized blankets, fireplaces, candles, warm beverages, books, and comfort food. Hygge can be practiced alone, with others, at home, or out at local businesses, just as long as the environment and overall “vibe” is relaxing and cozy.
While it’s true that hygge is typically practiced in the comforts of home with fireplaces, candles, and one’s most comfortable jammies, it’s important to remember that practicing hygge involves leaving the house as well.
Hygge involves a healthy mix of being indoors and outdoors in the winter. To start, here is what is NOT hygge:
- Staring at your phone all day long
- Staying indoors 100% of the time
- Strict rules
- Purchasing anything just to be on-trend
To live your best hygge life in Alpena, here is what you SHOULD be doing:
- Winter forest bathing at Norway Ridge or Island Park
- Enjoying a window seat with a hot cup of coffee at Cabin Creek Coffee or a glass of cider at PIFCider
- Reading a book at the Alpena County George N. Fletcher Library, with a hot beverage of course
- Immersing yourself in winter crafts to bring out your creativity
- A home-cooked meal with local ingredients from the Alpena Farmers Market
- Snowshoeing/cross-country skiing through Rockport State Recreation Area
- A glass of wine in a cozy setting at Thunder Bay Winery
- A meal with a beer at Austin Brothers’ Beer Company in their heated patio seating
- Tea parties at The Rabbit Hole
- A relaxing boardgame night or movie night with provisions from Neighborhood Provisions
Don’t forget – all of the above activities must be done in your comfiest knit socks, sweaters, hats, and mittens. Many of us may be already living our best hygge lifestyle and didn’t even know it! Tell us, how do you live “hoo-ga” in Alpena?
Be sure to check out the following blogs for more hygge inspiration:
New to Forest Bathing? Here are 5 Tips to Winter Forest Bathing in Alpena
(Cover photo of the covered bridge; photo courtesy of Rick Houchin)