Celebrate America’s 241st birthday with this dynamic, all-American small town!
Alpena, Michigan has become famous for plentiful 4th of July extravaganzas, and we’d hate to see you miss out!
Check out these fun-filled red, white, and blue events below ⇓
- Battle of the Paddles & Craft Beer Tasting, Tuesday 7/3 from 5-8 pm. At Thunder Bay River by Great Lakes Maritime Heritage Center. Festivities begin with craft beer tasting on the roof deck, then watch the standup paddle-boarders & kayakers race! Race registration: $10. Hosted by Dork Brothers Racing & Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
- Independence Day 5k Run/Walk & 1-mile Fun Run, Wednesday 7/4 with registration beginning at 7 am at the Aplex. An Alpena tradition put on by Dork Brothers Racing Team. All runners and walkers welcome for a 1-mile Fun Run at 8:30 and 5k at 9:00 am! Registration $10 for students, $20 for adults, and $40 for families.
- Alpena’s 4th of July Parade, Wednesday 7/4 beginning at 11 am. Parade begins at the Alpena County Fairgrounds, cruises through downtown, and ends at the Maritime Festival. This year’s parade honors active military & veterans. The special theme for 2018 is Rosie the Riveter. Hosted by Performance Locker, with sponsorship support from Lafarge – Alpena.
- Maritime Festival, Wednesday 7/4 from 10 am-5 pm. 500 West Fletcher Street. Free and fun for the whole family. Live music, kid’s activities, ROV demos, food vendors, and the popular Cardboard Boat Regatta. Hosted by NOAA Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
- Cardboard Boat Regatta, Wednesday 7/4 beginning at 2 pm. Thunder Bay River near Rotary Island. Will a cardboard boat float? Find out! Any individual/team over 10 years old can register beginning at 11 am on Rotary Island. Spectators welcome. Put on by the Friends of Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
- Alpena Sandcastle Competition, Wednesday 7/4 beginning at 8 am. Starlite Beach. Stop by to
admire the artistry of Alpena’s finest sandcastle builders. Registration begins at 8 am and judging takes place from 1-3 pm. Sandcastles on display all day. Hosted by The Alpena News. For more information, call 989-354-3111.
- The Rock Show concert, Wednesday 7/4 at 7:00 pm at the Alpena Band Shell. A free outdoor concert in the park. Also catch the Alpena City Band beforehand from 5:30-6:30 pm. Part of the Summer Concert Series hosted by True North Radio Network.
- Fireworks, set off along the shores of Lake Huron at Mich-e-ke-wis Park at dusk. Prime viewing locations include Starlite Beach and Alpena Boat Harbor but can be enjoyed all throughout Alpena. Special thanks to Alpena Area Chamber of Commerce and the Alpena community for raising funds to support the fireworks show.
* Keep your eyes peeled for other great 4th of July events including live music celebrations at local restaurants! *